If you've read some of my work on how to successfully implement change, sustainably lose weight or build better habits, you might be wondering about my background, and what exactly qualifies me as an authority on these subjects.
So, I thought I'd introduce myself properly and let you decide for yourself! Really, I'm just a regular person who has made the decision to actively build a better life for myself, and I like to dedicate a portion of my time to helping others do the same.
I live in Bristol, UK with my husband Ed and our cat Alabama (named after Patricia Arquette’s character in True Romance). I spent most of my adult life climbing the corporate ladder before deciding to break out on my own.
I struggle with labels because I find they can be too limiting, but I recognise that they are also helpful for communication. So I call myself a Change Coach, which means I help people to implement change effectively.
I'm also a writer, an entrepreneur, a business coach and a weight loss coach. I'm a veracious learner, and I like to take on new and varied challenges. I love to travel, I love to read and I love to create new things.
Here’s the short version of my proudest achievements:
- My career as a change leader. I had a successful career leading large scale change projects in a FTSE 100 company. It’s where I learned that people are the heart and soul of a business, and that success or failure lies within how you lead them through change. It’s where I found my passion and skill for coaching, and where I grew into the person I am today. You can see more on my LinkedIn profile.
- Losing 50 pounds and keeping it off. In early 2015 I made the decision to give up dieting for good. By choosing a different path, I lost the excess weight that had plagued me throughout my adult life and have kept it off ever since. I found a new joy in food and movement that has changed my life.
- Qualifying as a Personal Trainer. When I changed my approach to my weight, I discovered a whole new side to myself. I went from sedentary to very active, and decided to learn more about the human body and how to allow it to thrive. I wanted to apply what I’d achieved to helping others, and this education enables me to do so.
- Helping a bunch of people successfully make changes to their lives. Supporting others through change fills me with absolute joy. To read some of my client stories click here.
- My transition from corporate employee to sole trader. In 2016 I took the leap and exited the corporate world. It wasn’t a snap decision - it was something I had worked towards for many months. I was well prepared and had absolute clarity about my vision. I was scared, but incredibly excited to grasp control of my career.
When I condense my story down to this level, it seems like I focused on a lot of big goals over the last 10 years. But in reality, I don’t work in that way. I have a vision for my life, and I take daily, deliberate actions which are congruent with this vision. Over time, my daily successes add up to big achievements.
I’m pretty far from perfect. I fail often. But I see failure as a gift - a precious learning experience to be grasped with both hands. I keep my vision, and my desire for happiness, at the heart of everything I do, and overall the wins outweigh the losses.
I believe that change is the essence of life. The more skilled we become at succeeding through change, the happier we will ultimately be. That is what this site is about - it’s what I am about.
I hope that you’re enjoying my articles, and that you’ll continue with me on this journey.